Affordable Housing Programs Affordable Housing Programs Affordable Housing Programs  

Lead-Based Paint

The primary cause of childhood lead poisoning is the ingestion of deteriorated lead-based paint. Since the U.S. banned lead-based paint in 1978, this hazard is restricted to older homes. Children under the age of six are particularly susceptible to the potential neurological problems caused by lead poisoning because their nervous system is still developing. In addition, they tend to crawl and play on the floor where paint chips and dust collect and have a habit of putting things in their mouths. Lead poisoning can cause severe learning disabilities, hearing loss, brain and nerve damage and even death.

In order to provide lead-safe environments for their tenants, Owners should address any significant peeling paint issues as soon as discovered or regularly re-paint to seal surfaces and trap any lead-based paint that may be present.

Useful Links & Informative Documents